Thursday, April 30, 2009

Be sure to turn off the lights before you go home

Baseball is becoming a spectacle sport. What started as playing music for plate appearances has turned into each Major League established closer having their own music as well. Mariano Rivera has "Enter Sandman," Trevor Hoffman trotted out to "Hells Bells" and JJ would strike fear into opposing batters with "Thunderstruck."

But is this an intimidation tool? Or simply another way for the home stadiums to pump up an already excited crowd with the lead in the ninth?

I haven't been to a Mariners game this year where Brandon Morrow has needed to come in and lock the game up with a save. Because of that I have no idea what his "closer entrance theme" is. If you do know, please tell me in the comments.

But this posed an interesting question for me. If you were a major league closer what would your entrance music be?

I'll go first...Hatebreed "I will be Heard."

Hopefully most of you reading this will know what I'm talking about but for those of you who don't, imagine the most hardcore metal song that starts out with, "Now...is the time...for me to rise...to my feet! Wipe this spit...from my face...wipe these tears...from my eyes!"

If you can't get jacked up for that, you aren't alive.

How say you? What would your closer entrance music be?

*UPDATE: Garbs points out in the comments that Morrow's closer music may be Lenny Kravitz' "Are you gonna my way." If this is in fact true, (which I hope it's not) you can eliminate any chance of using closer entrance music to strike intimidation into the hearts of batters. Instead, in this case, it's used as a means to get the average fans toe tapping with catchy guitar riffs while at the same time succeeding in ultimately pissing people like me off.

5 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure Morrow's is "Are you gunna go my way?" By Lenny Kravitz. No Joke.

    I think I would choose Wake me up, Before you Go Go, by Wham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the coolest band name ever by the way. Thank you George Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez Garbs, you spelled it wrong... it's actually "Wham!" Can't forget the exclamation point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'm late, but I would have to pick one of two sliknot songs either, "Spit it out" or "People = Shit"...I don't think any ball park would allow the latter, but fuck 'em.

    ReplyDelete