Wednesday, August 19, 2009

How I spent my Monday Night

So, by now you should have all heard. the Mariners signed their first overall pick, Dustin Ackley just minutes before the 9:00 p.m. PT deadline on Monday night. Here is a text message account Garbs and I had leading up to the deadline.

Aug 17, 2009 8:59 p.m.
Noah: Dude WTF Ackley? Sign already!
Garbs: Not going to happen...fucking boras

Aug 17, 2009 9:00 p.m.
Noah: It's 9. Let's hope for the best
Garbs: Is it 9:09? The deadline?
Noah: 9:00
Garbs: Eff I don't like it.

Aug 17, 2009 9:25 p.m.
Noah: Ackley signed
Garbs: How much? Like 8?
Noah: 9.5 with a major league contract, whatever that means. Assume it means he's added to the 40 man roster.

Obviously, not truly exciting stuff. I just felt it was pretty ridiculous that I could waste 30 minutes of my time so concerned whether or not a 20-year-old baseball player signs for millions of dollars when it's not even certain he'll be any good.

So, what do I think of the deal? Regardless of the money and the fact that it's a major-league contract this deal needed to get done. If the Mariners are truly serious about competing in 2011 they need Ackley on their team. He instantly became the M's best prospect and we should see him break the club by 2012...2011 if we're lucky.

Here's to the future!

2 comments:

  1. I know nothing about this kid, but I'm glad they signed him. If nothing else, it shows that they believe in their scouting and are willing to follow through on it. If they didn't have confidence in their scouting, they would have just not signed and got the high pick next season.

    Hopefully the kid is good. But either way, I'm glad they signed him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I like the Bill Hall signing. I know he was a steroid dude, but with Beltre leaving after this year, maybe he can provide some pop in the lineup.

    ReplyDelete