Tuesday, July 21, 2009

In Other News...

So Nick and I have been contemplating on whether this site would be only Mariners coverage or if we should try to incorporate Seattle sports as a whole. Well, our decision really hasn't been made yet but here is my first attempt outside the realm of baseball and into the overall world of Seattle sports. As with everything else, let us know what you think.

Seahawks wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh appeared on the Colin Cowherd show this morning. The newly acquired wide receiver had some choice words for EA Sports, the makers of the Madden Football franchise. The following quote was taken from Mike Sando's NFC West Blog.
"I understand I averaged 10 yards a catch, but it's the offense, not me. I'm not playing Madden no more until they get my rating right. ... I used to be the best in the world at Madden. I'm going to miss not playing it, but until they do me right, I'm not playing it any more."
Now, according to Sando, Houshmandzadeh was rated the sixth best wide receiver in the NFC at a 91 rating. He trailed only Larry Fitzgerald (99), Steve Smith (97), Anquan Boldin (94), Roddy White (93) and Calvin Johnson (92).

Where it gets interesting is Pro Football Talk's take on the interview. The web site takes Houshmandzadeh's comments completely out of context and offers that "he comes off as a guy who simply doesn't get it."

Of course one could make the initial reaction that Houshmandzadeh could become a potential problem and this is the sort of prima donna mentality that former teammate Chad Ochocinco is cursed with. I, however, think this may be an attempt by PFT to increase readership to their site. The quote from Houshmandzadeh, as with most quotes, can be taken out of context and be interpreted differently than I think was intended. If you don't believe me listen to the Cowherd spot with T.J.

Let's just speculate for a minute that T.J. did intend for the quote to be filled with that wide receiver "the world owes me" mentality. I have absolutely no problem with it and would be a little excited about Houshmandzadeh's passion.

The Seahawks need to have a chip on their shoulder. After a 4-12 record during last year's injury-plagued season. Most analysts are hardly giving the Seahawks a chance to compete. I've seen a lot of 8-8 predictions and hardly any talk of playoffs.

This statement would be Houshmandzadeh telling the world they have it wrong. They're underestimating a dangerous player and they're underestimating a dangerous team.

The Seahawks are in a great position to prove all the critics wrong this year. We will have a young energized new coaching staff, a healthy Matt Hasselbeck, a healthy offensive line, an upgrade at wide receiver with T.J. Houshmandzadeh and my prediction for Defensive Rookie of the Year Aaron Curry.

Big thanks to Cam Schwartz for passing this one along.

5 comments:

  1. I just listened to the blogcast and I'm wondering if Nick even knows what Caveot means? He seems to say it alot...nice call on St. Louis and their pitching Noah. I was thinking the same thing. And did I miss it, but I didn't hear you guys talk about the Rangers possibly falling off their shooting star and coming back to earth in the second half of the season...because that's what I see happening. There's no way all those previously average hitters can keep it going the whole year.

    ...and that's a great heads up on Housh! He needs to go out and be confident which is totally different than being a prima donna. Unlike D.Jack, he shows up for early camp workouts and is busting his ass to make our team better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no problem with his comments, but I think he should be content with a 91 rating. Reality check: he's not better then AZ boys, Smith, or Johnson. I think White had a great year and his rating may be inflated.

    Regardless, Housh needs a reality check, but I do like his confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally like the football news... my vote is for all things sports and Seattle.

    Oh, and it's "caveat." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding Texas, I think we've under-rated them as a legitimate contender this entire time. In previous blogcasts we discussed how we didn't think their pitchers could keep it together through a hot Dallas August.

    Regardless of whether we write off the Rangers, the truth is there are three VERY hot teams in the AL West. Eventually something will give, hopefully it's not the M's

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure TJ Houshmandzadeh is just a pissed off dude in general. I saw him at a restaurant in Bellevue like 3 Friday's ago, he was there with his wife and two kids and he looked like he would have rather have been in a torture chamber then at that table. He just sat there looking straight ahead for about an hour. Yes, I was watching him the whole time.

    ReplyDelete